Friday, March 19, 2010

A new way to Organize

Shirkey's article regarding Group Organization on the Internet got me thinking about how much we really do use the Internet to come together and collaborate. Without the internet, I'm not exactly sure how I would know about many of the events, parties, meetings etc. that I am supposed to attend. It's shocking to think that at some point, people had to send letters or use word of mouth just to rally a group. Today, we have Facebook to create a birthday invitation telling all of our friends where to go, what time, and what to wear; we have email to coordinate a meeting with classmates whom we are doing a group project with; if no one is around to discuss our views on something currently happening in the news, we can go online and chat with thousands about how we feel. Today, it takes barely any time, effort or money to form a large open group forum surrounding a common interest. One example I can think of a large group forming online, before even meeting in person, is the College groups that incoming freshmen form to discuss their upcoming year. When I was coming into freshman year, there was a group on Facebook called CUA c/o 2011, in which a large percentage of my class belonged too. Through this group we could get to know each other, feel each other out, ask questions, relay fears and whatever else, without ever speaking a word to each other. I'm pretty sure that ten years ago, I would have gone to college not knowing a single face, but because of that facebook group, I already recognized a couple of people. I definitely think this new phenomenon of group formation is going to be helpful in the future. It is all part of the new mentality for americans to get stuff done quicker, better and more efficiently. This new technological age is one that can only grow from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment