Thursday, April 22, 2010

Is Cloaking easy to spot?

This week in class we discussed cloaked websites and cyber-racism. From the article, we learned that there is a wide-range of cloaking websites, from political cloaking to corporate. There are also different levels of cloaking in which the website may either openly identify itself and its agenda or it could be more complicated, in which the website might operate out of different countries or lie about its broadcasting. During our discussion, I tried to think of a website that I may have come across that was cloaked. Then I started to think, would I even know if a website I had visited was a cloaked website? I think in some cases it is fairly obvious, as we discussed in class, but in others it may not be as simple. Thinking back, I remember for a project in one of my classes, we had to look up websites that were Pro-Life, and those that were more informative on reproductive health and Pro-Choice. I remember coming across one website called www.teenbreaks.com, that seemed to be Pro-Choice from the outside. This was a website for teens that had advice and information on issues ranging from relationships and sexual abuse to abortion and pregnancy. From just the home page, it looked to me like it was about sexual health and issues relating to it. It did not seem to be taking a Pro-Life stance whatsoever, nor did it seem to be promoting absitence. However, one of the links was named "sex is awesome" and when you click on it, the word UNLESS is the first bolded image on the page, followed by a list of reasons why you should wait to have sex. The website also has pregnancy and abortion links. In the pregnancy link, there is useful information, advice and self-help numbers to call, while in the abortion section, there are a number of cons against abortion as well as long-term effects and hardly any information. There are hundreds of success stories from girls who decided to keep their children while the stories of girls who had abortions are all filled with regret. Although I did not recognize it at the time, this was clearly a cloaked website, and was very heavily pro-life. At the outset, one might not see that this website has a hidden agenda, but as you browse the links, it is clear. Before realizing this website was cloaked, I thought I would have an easy time at recognizing a cloaked website when I saw one. However, teenbreaks.com prooved that its not as easy as it looks.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you! I just checked out teenbreaks.com and realized it really isn't as easy to spot a cloaked website as you may think it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe that finding a cloaked website is easy at all. Most of the time people surf the Internet to find a quick answer. If they are looking for a fast answer, they will not be checking the domain name. Rather, once they click on the link, they will scroll to find what they are looking for. In short, most of the time people don't have time to look for a cloaked website.

    ReplyDelete