Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Perez Hilton = bully?

One of my favorite blogs to visit online is PerezHilton.com, who recently has come under a lot of fire. Many know perez as the openly gay, self-proclaimed "queen of media". His blog is labeled as the most hated blog in hollywood. He regularly makes fun of celebrities by calling them unflattering nicknames, drawing on their faces, and insinuating things about them that may not be true. He's infamous for being witty and clever, but at the expense of insulting many people. Being an avid gay rights activist, he has recently addressed the issue of cyber-bullying and the suicides that have been committed as a result. He expresses disgust with those who bully via the internet, and offers resources for those who are victims of the bullying. He seems to feel strongly about the topic, however, he does not address the bullying that goes on every day on his website. While I personally am not quick to call perez a bully, because many of us make fun of celebrities and have our own opinions of them, regardless of whether we know them or not, many have called him hypocritical because of his constant use of cyber-bullying while he tries to stand against it. Because of this, Perez posted a video seen here, where he gets teary-eyed and vows to stop bullying and be kinder to celebrities. He says he used to justify everything as comedy and humor, but does not want to be called a bully. He even went on Ellen Degeneres to proclaim his will to change, which can be viewed here.

As I said before, I do not think that I would classify Perez as a bully in the same way that I would cyber-bullies. However, while I find a lot of what he posts about celebrities funny, mainly because they are all so distant that their worlds feel like an entirely different world from mine, I never thought about how they might feel about Perez's hurtful insults. I always assumed Perez's website was kind of a fun, guilty pleasure for people who wanted to be updated on celebrity gossip. I assumed those who he wrote about never read that kind of nonsense and therefore weren't offended by it. However, I see now that it was a type of bullying, and no cyber-bullying should be taken for granted. It will be interesting to see if Perez really does become "kinder" and whether or not he changes his ways.

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you! Perez Hilton is one of my favorite blogs and to see people are classifying him as a bully is kind of ridiculous. Perez, above anyone I think, just says it how it is and doesn't care what people think. He would never 'bully' someone!- he's a blogger/reporter/celebrity/socialite = it's a part of his job. I really feel bad for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read the Perez Hilton blog, but from the few things I've heard about him on mainstream news he seems like a celebrity bully to me. I guess no one really cares that he is because he is making fun of celebrities, who put themselves in the public eye and are thus subject to anything. Yet, I've heard of him posting raunchy photos of Miley Cyrus on his website and since she's a minor I think it is pretty absurd that he isn't confronted about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tara, like Kit, I also don't read perez hilton but i can see how its popular. If Perez follows through with his pact of non-bullying, he's gonna be in trouble because what is he gonna talk about if hes not making fun of celebrities?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you and Tory. Just like you said, I wouldn't consider him a bully for simply giving his opinion or for making fun of celebrities, if so we are all guilty of doing so. All he's doing is his job, and if some don't like it, then they shouldn't be checking his blog. Not even the celebrities care, because if they did then his site would of been shut down a long time ago, but luckily it's not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think he can be a bully, depending on the day. He makes his money off of making fun of people. Khloe Kardashian recently posted a video online telling the rest of the world how hurt she was when Perez called her "fugly" and a "tranny" on his website that millions of people read each day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kit I agree with you that it can seem like he is a bully and at times, I think he is. Making fun of anyone hurts no matter who you are, and even though those who read the blog find it funny, the celebrities more often than not will hear what he said. Liz I also saw that video and it was good to see how it effects an actual celebrity. It made me re-consider the type of bully that perez actually is, as he is in this buisness and it is kind of a glamourized type of bullying that he gets paid for.

    ReplyDelete