Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Saving the internet

While talking about net neutrality today in class, I started thinking about whether there were any current court cases regarding ISPs trying to slow down connection to some websites. Freedom on the internet is such a broad and debated issue and whether or not ISPs have the authority to regulate what services they offer and at what price is an arguable topic. In April of 2010, there was a federal court case involving Comcast and high traffic video sites such as Youtube in which the court decided ultimatley that Comcast (and all other internet service providers) had limited power to over web traffic under current law. This ruling caused an uproar from the F.C.C. which strives to have explicit control over Internet service, and whose ultimate goal is to remove all rights of ISPs to control web traffic. As I was reading about this case, I came across this website, called savetheinternet.com. The goal of this website is to campaign for Congress to make a law that upholds net neutrality across the internet, and no longer allows internet service providers to take part in allowing one website slower connection than another. The website has a blog, and donations section which could help contribute to the campaign. The whole premise is based on the future of the internet and is a common ground where "two million everyday people who have banded together with thousands of nonprofit organizations, buisnesses and bloggers to protect internet freedom." I think the video on the website did an awesome job at explaining net neutrality, and why it is important that it be upheld. That video can be seen here on youtube --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L11kLmWha6o&feature=player_embedded

4 comments:

  1. That campaign seems pretty interesting. I wonder if they will be successful. The video is very helpful though. I learned a lot from watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I think that sometimes the concept of net neutrality can be a bit confusing and I think that the youtube video was helpful...then again you can pretty much understand thermodynamics when someone makes a youtube video to explain it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting the video...as much as I thought I understood net neutrality...the reality was...I didn't! ahah incredibly helpful!

    ReplyDelete