Thursday, December 9, 2010

While I was debating what to blog about this week, I started thinking about how I usually think of topics. The first place I typically start out at is Google. I start at google for a number of things. For my senior thesis paper I first started googling different ideas until i realized my topic. When I hear about a job or a company that I might be interested in working for the first thing I do is google the company. I use google every day, multiple times a day. It is a starting point for almost everything that I need to get done on the internet, and offline. I google people, and random things when I am bored, procrastinating, busy, at any time of day, etc. I even googled the google image that you see above. And now that I have an iphone, I can google anything I want, whenever I want, wherever I am. . Within a short span of time I recently googled:
- How to get a stain out of a winter coat
- Gift ideas for moms
- Chili's locations
- Elizabeth Edwards
- Baked chicken recipes
- 10 day forecast
Needless to say I am a major information seeker, but I don't think I am alone. It is amazing how many times a day one person visits google. Wikipedia (another huge conglomerate that people use to seek all kinds of facts, but we'll stick to just google for today) asserts that google gets over 400 million searches a day, and while that number is extremely high, it still seems kind of low to me. In my paper, I talked about Collectivism and how the major sites like Google and Wikipedia are taking up all of the web traffic. When I look at my own Internet usage, this seems to be true. The moral of this post is, as google is a starting point for many internet searches, Where would we be without it?

2 comments:

  1. It is crazy how often you use Google without even realizing it! I depend on Google for so many things. Now that I have the Iphone I can go to different apps to find out information but I find myself still clicking googling several times a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. I google numerous times a day id say maybe upwards of about 30 times a day. I'm trying to think back to a time before google when i'd use AskJeeves or others sites I can't even fathom anymore. Perhaps Yahoo? although they were helpful their format was just never tweaked the right way, something Google has clearly cashed in on. It's crazy how the simplest changes can result in an empire.

    ReplyDelete